Monday, January 5, 2009

Candy chicken, caramel, Potatoes and foodgasmic brownies

Okay this is where Mac sat all day, he pretty much camped the kitchen stove. I have been spoiling him and feeding him real food. I think I saw him building me a shrine....

CARMEL

Okay so I made Dulce de Leche. Which is pretty much carmel in the little dipper crockpot. its SOOOO easy I almost feel ashamed of myself for listing it as a recipe. We really like apples and carmel, but we can't have any of the commercial carmels because they have some funny stuff in it. Okay so this is how you make it....

Take one can of sweetened condensed milk.

Peel off the label on the can

Open the can (it has a pull top, I promise you can do it)

place the can in the crockpot about 2/3 full of water

turn on crockpot

wait....... until it turns a nice light brown

its sooooooo easy eat, and enjoy



For dinner, I made Brown Sugar Chicken if you click on the name, it will take you to the recipe I used. Can I just say that the Year of Crockpotting blog is pure genius, absolute genius. This was good, but very very sweet. Brian didn't like it as much as the kids, but then Brian doesn't eat Ketchup, Mayo, or Ranch dressing... anyway, I digress. The kiddos LOVED this.

I also made roasted potatoes. Now I have made these in the oven before and we always loved the flavor, but they ended up kind dehydrated in the oven. So I put the potatoes in the crockpot, drizzled olive oil on them, and sprinkled dry french onion soup on them. THEY WERE SOOOOO GOOD. oh my, they were completely awesome!!!!!

BROWNIES

I have also started a quest for the perfect brownie. These were so completely foodgasmic, awesome, spectacular. Chocolate had a party in my mouth, and I liked it.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound unsalted butter
  • 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
  • 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 6 extra-large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
  • 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 cups diced walnut pieces

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.

Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not over-bake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.

3 comments:

Rob said...

This is yet another recipe I'm going to have to try. You fix the bestest sounding things! :)

Carrie Thompson said...

do you have two crockpots, one for chicken and one for potatoes?

Jennifer said...

I actually have four I have accumulated over the years, I have a six quart, or the largest which is a normal one. I have the 5 quart smart pot, the kind that shuts itself off, a three quart regular one, and then a little dipper. I love them all.