It is very very good. I had explained to the kids earlier this week that we were eating like cavemen, which they thought was funny. So tonight, when I asked them what we should call these, my dear sweet innocent children suggested "Hairy Caveman Balls" Hairy, for the coconut. We decided NOT to go with that suggestion for obvious reasons.
Ingredients (makes about 25 balls)
- 1 Cup almonds
- 1 Cup of dried apples and apricots (1/2 and 1/2). Make sure it’s the kind where the only ingredient is apple or apricot. You want to soak them in water for about an hour to moisten them up – otherwise they won’t break down.
- 2 tsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- Soak the dried fruit for an hour.
- In a food processor, grind up the nuts to a fairly fine texture. Stop before you make nut butter.
- Add the dried fruit, maple syrup and cocoa powder – process until it forms a doughy ball. You might need to go in and cut up some of the dried fruit if it’s not breaking down.
- Take small portions of the dough and roll into little balls – then roll them through the dried coconut.