Monday, August 10, 2009

Chicken and Rice Bake

My mom made this when I was a kiddo. When I was twenty, I suddenly found myself with a six year old little girl to raise and no real cooking skills. I was able to heat things up, or put together a mix, but I had no real kitchen skills. So realizing this child had to eat a real dinner, I would go to the grocery store and pick up 7 boxes of Hamburger Helper in various flavors and 7 pounds of hamburger meat. This dish was my very first attempt at actual cooking. So then it was only 6 boxes of hamburger helper and the ingredients for this dish! I slowly branched out into more adventurous cooking, but I still consider this a nostalgic favorite. Since then I have made a few changes to try and make it a little healthier.

  • 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup (I use the 98% fat free)
  • 1 can water
  • 2 cups of cooked brown rice (otherwise, it will taste like you put toenail clippings in there. You have no idea how long it took me to realize this very important step. We ate much toenail.)
  • one onion cut up
  • salt/pepper/paprika and garlic dusted on top
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Throw this all together in a Pyrex dish and bake it at 375 for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (if you are using the frozen variety)

No comments: