This is another classic from the Famous French restaurant and bakery. I am a huge fan of this soup, I order it every time I am at La Madeline with their Caesar Salad. This tastes exactly the same to me. Excerpted from an article by Beverly Bundy of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram around May 20, 1994.
- 4 C. (8 to 10) tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped, or 4 C. canned whole tomatoes, crushed
- 4 C. tomato juice and part vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 12 to 14 washed fresh basil leaves
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 1/4 pound sweet, unsalted butter
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
Combine tomatoes, juice/and or stock in saucepan. Simmer 30 minutes. Puree, along with the basil leaves, in small batches, in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand-held food blenders, right in the cooking pan).
Return to saucepan and add cream and butter, while stirring over low heat. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread.