Monday, February 16, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is good soup. I had been looking for a LONG time for a restaurant quality tortilla soup. I would like to lie to you and say I was searching for something authentic, but I dont think it is authentic, I was looking for something that resembled the Boston Market, or Bennigans. It probably depends on what your expectations are, the versions I had come across were just missing "something". I tinkered, and this is what I came up with....


Ingredients

  • 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken ( I used the leftovers of a rotissere)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 oz can of tomatoe sauce
  • 1/4 cup of salsa
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2(14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 2 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 2 tsp olive oil
I dumped everything but the cilantro and corn into the crockpot for four hours. I added those during the last hour. To serve, throw in some crushed tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese or avacado.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Um ... YUMMO! I'm putting this on the cooking docket for this coming weekend. Thanks for posting this!

Carrie Thompson said...

cocoa?

Jennifer said...

Glad it sounds yummy to you Rob!

Um Carrie, yes its cocoa powder. The original recipe I was looking at called for enchilada sauce. We don't like the ingredients that are in the cans, so I had to find a scratch recipe for enchilada sauce, and one of the ingredients is cocoa. Because it is completely unsweetened, it just lends a kinda smokey flavor.

Rob said...

Great googly moogly, this was most excellent! Thanks again for posting it.